Friday 5 November 2010

From party animal to avoiding mirrors


When I was in my twenties, I was a real party animal. I was always out with my friends on a Saturday night and I loved fashion.  

But when I had my two children, I started caring less about the way I looked. I would go for days without even looking in the mirror! As extra pounds began piling on, I just wore baggier clothes to hide my figure.



(Sorry this picture is a bit blurry but I don't have many of me when I was bigger!)
Instead of shopping in the High Street, I started ordering clothes online from Ebay (and only if I was desperate!). I didn’t want to admit I had gone up from being a size 8-10 to a size 14 so I put off buying new clothes. I was so embarrassed when I did buy something, I’d cut out all the labels.

My friends were always nagging me that I never went out any more. But I hated the idea of being the token ‘fat friend’ tagging along. They didn’t see me like that, but my confidence was at rock bottom. I was always making excuses about why I couldn’t go out.

Once I made the decision to lose weight, my friends were a bit more honest about how I’d changed.  I remember one saying “You used to spend a fortune on clothes and I’d always be jealous of what you wore.” She reminded me of a holiday we’d been on where I’d hung up all my outfits for the week complete with matching underwear!

We had a good laugh about it but I felt sad that I’d lost all my confidence and sexiness. My friend’s comments made me even more determined to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment