Tuesday 16 November 2010

Losing too much weight

I came to know that my optimum weight, when I look and feel my best, is 9 stone. I’m 5'8 but a quite athletic build and this is the healthiest weight for me.

There came a point though when I realized I’d gone too far the other way. It was strange because it’s one of those things you don’t really notice yourself. I was still a Size 8, which is my normal size, so it took me a while to realise. When my friends and family started saying I looked ill I noticed that I’d lost a lot of weight in my face and looked really drawn.

I was not actively trying to lose weight at all but I was really stressed. I think this was the main reason my weight plummeted and I felt really low in myself. Also, I felt the actual physical effects because my immune system was weak making me ill easily. I’m quite prone to alopecia (hair loss) and this came back in a big way. I thought I looked like Friar Tuck!


Being underweight affected my confidence almost as badly as being overweight. People don’t mention if you’ve put on weight out of politeness but they don’t hesitate to mention if you look too thin. I remember going to my Aunt’s for lunch and she would make me two sandwiches rather than one without asking. 

I was at a loss because I wasn’t trying to lose weight or eating any less. I knew that I wasn't at my healthiest weight but wasn't sure what to do about it. Up until now all my attention has been on losing weight not putting it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment